About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ethics and the college student of the 21st C

I wrote recently how education is a spiritual pursuit, a way to uplift the spirit and inspire hope and creativity, to change the world.

Yesterday I went down to my university to pack up for the end of Spring Semester . I went through several hundred writing portfolios to toss those which were outdated for my obligatory storage. We are asked to keep student writing portfolios for one academic year. After that they can be tossed. I decided to take a few home, blank out their names and use snippets of their text to teach other students, both in a university setting as well as in business applications.

I actually kept about two dozen portfolios and gave each one a title for easy access.I put the industry or category titles in alphabetical order. what surprised me was the three titles starting with ethics. There were other portfolios I did not keep that dealt with the right and wrongs of things, subjects which might not be titled ethics, but certainly skewed in that direction. I mused on the way home how this is important to this generation. We boomers fought against the Viet Nam War.These millennials fight against an enemy as fierce as any on the American landscape. No wonder they're going for Barack Obama.

No comments: