About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chain baby pictures

The chains are far reaching in my email.

This morning I got a new one, a pithy invitation to be a better person, love my neighbor, forgive the people I'd like to see dead or maimed, speak up with courage, seize the day (carpe diem for you Latin lovers), forgive myself for everything (including how I will ignore the guilt-producing words to send this back to the one who sent it to me (like Santa Claus checking it twice).

I think we've totally lost it with the Internet email chains. Cute baby pictures (no African Americans among them, and one half-Asian child passed the litmus test) don't motivate me to be a better person. Most of my bad behavior is with my own husband (as opposed to yours). I wake up to my better angel when I remember that he doesn't put the lid down (you know what lid I refer to) because he was many years in the Navy and there were no girls around and we raised two sons and the "seat" was never put in the covered position. I was outnumbered.

When I let that go and move on, I'm a better person. No email chain will assuage my conscience of my everyday bad behaviors at home.

No comments: