About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tough stuff

This is Tuesday's complaint department:

I have a part-time job where I have to maintain a sane and healthy working relationship with people who "supervise" my work (but can't read my attitude) from 1500 miles south of me. It's a virtual call center for career professionals and I attempt to make sense of a complex network of instructions that occasionally becomes unwieldy. My "boss", the woman who hired and trained me, has to manage 186 people remotely from her perch in North Carolina. She's busy ( she IS a Vice-President, after all), and she has more email than anyone ought to have (or so I hear). She announced on one of our multi-city teleconferences about two months ago that she doesn't get to all of her email. This means she doesn't answer inquiries, so don't bother to send any. As one who had already sent her unanswered email six weeks prior, I can attest to that!

So today I needed to find a document she had sent about two weeks ago and I emailed the head of the administrative staff to get the old info for me to make a meeting connection on August 25th. This admin lady couldn't help me, but asked how she could help me get to the source. So, I emailed the Source, the one who doesn't open her emails, and voila! MADAME picked up the phone and called me. And she was offended I was sending out email announcing she doesn't answer her email!! Well, with that phone call, I guess she showed me!

What's wrong here? It's that I called her on her bs with not answering email and she woke up! God forbid anyone should notice that if you announce on a teleconference that it might take you six weeks to hear back from her that you would seek to get her ear by going around her to anyone who could help you out!

I have a big problem with poseurs! Straight talk about relationships that have to be maintained long-distance is essential for s smooth working relationship. I was kind in apologizing for her misunderstanding that I might have sounded like I was complaining about her, but it's time to get the big picture: hire an admin to read your mail and respond or I'll call you next time!

No comments: