About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How I Got Interested

I've been interested since I was three in "saving my soul". As a cradle Catholic, I was taught very early about sin and its consequences. I learned to take confession at age six, and mastered the typical lies that got me through for a few years without embarrrassing myself to a priest: I disobeyed my parents and gossiped about my classmates, standard issue misdemeanors.

As an adult, leaving formal religion behind and studying world religions and ritual, I began to see we all worried about the same things and we all knew the bottom line: if you don't love your neighbor as yourself, you might not be as happy as the neighbor who does.

And try as I might, I could never escape from conscience--an innate pressure that sent the cues to knowing the right thing to do, if not the courage for acting on that knowledge.

I had a long career (and still practice it but with less intensity) as a career coach/resume writer, and over the years I formed strong views of what people were really writing about in the job campaign: sometimes exaggerations of their accomplishments, and often unnecesaary modesty about the best their skills could produce. It finally occurred to me that writing about our character traits, about those aspects of ourselves, could be an interesting and healing way to take a long look at our inner value to ourselves, as projected to our inner picture of God.

So came about the birth of The Last Best Resume. It is meant to be ongoing and upggraded, just like an ordinary employment resume. I'll keep you posted as it develops. Maybe, dear reader, you may want to write one for my book.

No comments: