About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Moral authority

Some have asked me if my new book will be a compendium of moral platitudes that people will have to digest and use to analyze their behaviors. Good grief, NO!

Moral platitudes have been the direct and irrevocable downfall of televangelists, senators and all kinds of preachers and teachers. I just can't go there.

The Last Best Resume on Earth is, if nothing else, a moral reckoning of one's own. Since G*d already has seen everything, there's no hiding, no subterfuge, no clandestine cover-ups with which to fool your Maker. It's the NAKED truth. Like in the film Defending Your Life, it would be interesting to review the days and hours of your time on earth (up to now) and see how you would use this time if it were over as a defense to move on. The metaphor is useful, if not fantastical. What (or how) would you and I plead to continue here on earth if everything up till now were under scrutiny? How might the priorities change?

Something to think about.

No comments: