About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Beginner's Mind

I like to think of myself as knowledgeable and professional, but that's really just my PR.

Last night I did my work (the kind with a public audience) and my husband was there. The last time he saw my work was several months ago and people were heaping praise on me. This time there were technical difficulties and some of my performance was not as smooth as usual. There were no major mistakes, just a matter of degree's difference, but still the kind that makes a leap from great back down to good.

I puzzled over it and looked for excuses and explanations of what happened. I overdid it; I didn't test the microphone enough, and blah, blah, blah. The truth in fact eludes me. I did my best and everything I could think of and it just wasn't my most impressive. End of story.

Bottom line, I love my work and it seems to love me back. In zen mind, there is just what is and everything else is just a story added on top. The technical things are easy to fix next time, but the second guessing is counter-productive. With beginner's mind, the next time out will be fresh and as if for the first time ever. I'll remember that.

No comments: