About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Welcome resistance

The only thing worse than getting stuck in your own mud (I don't wanna! I don't wanna!) is getting buried in it, resisting it, running from it, hating it, "dissing" it. Resistance, be it writer's block, calling up someone who may reject us, getting all our warm weather clothes put away and cold weather gear out to allow ourselves to face late November's cold, is a solid fact of being human.

Given the time of day, the time of the year or any kind of mood visitation, I will hate everything I love and love many things I think I hate. Running from resistance is like running away from your nose. It can't be done. Resistance is there; you use it without thinking about it and if you just allow it to be there, it won't dominate your life and you'll move on to a "flow" that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Resistance arises and begs to be noticed, embraced as an entity to be used for its own unique purpose, and then to disappear. It is a natural outcome of fear and needs to be treated as such. It's OK to take the time to let it in and not to treat resistance as the ENEMY! And even if it were the ENEMY, it can be negotiated with. "I'll admit you to the table as long as you respectfully watch me step out of my shell, my fear, my dread of the unknown." In short, pay respect to resistance and it will respect you. Resistance is the clay of character, the substance which we can mold to strengthen our resolve, so as not to succumb to inertia or entropy. Whatever we think we want, resistance will teach us how to get there, but we must first be teachable.

No comments: