About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

End of Year Introspection

It's a dangerous proposition to noodle around in deep internal psychological terrain during an already stressful season. Like right NOW. Nonetheless it's the perfect time of year to take full account of one's past year.

I'm not talking about New Year's resolutions; I mean tying up loose ends, crossing off unfinished items that have lost their significance by lack of interest or a strong enough vision to fire up desire to get it done no matter what. Last Saturday I organized a small group of professional colleagues and we did a guided meditation, some writing, and some releasing of lingering pain that had its primary tendrils in our heads.

It turned out to be a good way to kick off a string of completion activity: redesigning a budget for my son to pull himself out of struggling from paycheck to paycheck; declaring the tiny room I called the meditation room a storage room, since that is what it has become for the almost three years I've lived here and rightfully so; signing off on my website redesign and a new brochure to relaunch my wedding brand for the 2008 wedding season. It feels good and that's what counts. It feels better than receiving presents: giving oneself the gift of "moving on" is a liberation. This is not ,as I said earlier, new year's resolutions; what's done is done and 2007 marks the end of some unfulfilled intentions as well as the successful conclusion of others. Either way it's a fresh beginning to the next number of good intentions. Moving on happens with us or without us. I like to stay in motion.

No comments: