About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Iowa all the way

I don't generally write about politics, but today it's too compelling to avoid. Character, after all, is always some kind of underlying issue in political campaigns. Fortunately, the C word has not arisen in the Iowa caucuses. The evangelical vote and religion have insinuated themselves into the Republican side and I have to admit, as much as I eschew any kind of religious political agenda, I like Mike Huckabee. Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong Democrat.

Why is Huckabee so appealing, especially in Iowa?

1. He's quietly religious
2. He has an aura of tolerance, rather than righteousness.
3. He has a gentleness about him that looks like he might listen to others, even those who disagree with him.
4. He's the only Republican who was willing to criticize George Bush.

Would he make a good presidential candidate for the national election? Probably not: he's too green. For the Democrats he might be easy to beat. But John McCain could be hard to beat; and he today promised (suggested) he would only stay in office for one term, very appealing to Democrats, if not everybody.

This is fun, but unfortunately it is not a popularity contest, so Huckabee might be tonight's winner but a poor choice for President. The same is true for Obama. I'm glad I have another five weeks before we vote in Massachusetts.

No comments: