About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Keeping Your Word

I have long forgotten, living so forcefully and fully in the reasonable, rational stratosphere of delusional self-interest, that keeping my word mattered to making meaning in my life.

I wonder, for instance, why I don't want to write daily in this blog. My excuse is that I don't yet know how to attract readers, or I've let myself remain ignorant of how to find out about attracting traffic, and creating helpful and mutually productive links. So if no one is reading (or watching) what's the point? Why bother? All of this connects to another way of thinking. If no one expects anything from me, I'm off the hook. I can breathe, as I will not be asked to be accountable for one more thing (there are plenty of other accountabilities, after all).

It occurs to me today that I have a basic "excuse" mentality, looking always to get more from life than I'm willing to put into it. This is not that hard to understand. I've had a great deal of disappointment. Haven't I earned the right, as well as the expertise, to take short-cuts? Actually no. That's just not how life (or blogging) works. I can't maintain an active blog if I'm not active myself. I can't create traffic---readers---unless there's something to read, and if I write everyday and begin to feel excited about the work, I may just produce enough to ask a few people to read and comment and even to help me find a way to attract more than just friends as readers.

So, what does this mean? I will write in this space every day for the next week. Every day. Everyday until February 14, there will be a posting in the blogspot. My word matters to me; perhaps my words will matter to others.

No comments: