About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Conversations with God

Only recently have I begun to read some of Neale Walsh's opuses on this subject.

In principle, I agree fully with his original premise--if we're quiet and listen to the whispers of our innate "good" conscience. we might discover G*d is talking to us, telling us the best advice, steering us away from stupid errors and warning us against foolish choices.

I wish it were that simple. I think we hear mostly what we want to hear, and it's extraordinarily difficult to separate good advice from bad when listening to the still, small voice of conscience. But what choice do we have? If we turn to the clearest rules of religion, starting with the Ten Commandments, how do we choose to interpret what we've learned? The wisest will tell us, live not from what you've been told, but from what you know directly in your experience.

This has been my own unfolding. I had to learn to trust my native conscience and give up the thinking of my childhood, some of which lingered into my third half of life. I have other, trustworthy signals: I get a pain over my left shoulder when my conscience is stimulated. Some people I know develop a form of sinus headache.

So today I'll hang out with doing my best and watching my shoulder. How does conscience work for you?

No comments: