About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Eckhart Tolle

I just spent three days doing an R & R (Rest & Relaxation) at Kripalu Yoga Center in Lenox, MA. To say it was divine is to get it right. Yoga practice gets you back to your body, to its subtle messages, even to the sound of your heartbeat, and most importantly to the awareness of your own breathing. I have a peace within that is vastly different from a normal feeling of rest after a short vacation.

While there, I finished another Eckhart Tolle book. Once again, I am back to the heart of what matters--being here alive in the now. Once again I am reminded that there is no past or future, except in the mind, which is not the now, but an overlay of inner conversation commenting on life as it unfolds.

I wish I could say I'm a better person for this, but that's a lie. I just woke up to see more of my crazy ego running amok. I fight the "now" all the time. I have a chattering mind that thinks it's keeping me good company, but in fact only leads me to distraction. On the drive back to Boston, I became aware of how much of the trip went by without my noticing.

But Tolle reminds us that the awareness itself is key, not getting it "right" by being awake all the time. Most empowering was the message that when ego takes over and wants undue attention, it just isn't personal. This helped me forgive myself for inner criticism of people, a useless and self-damaging occupation. There's more, but I'll take it up later. Bye for now.

No comments: