About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Making of Character

It takes a lifetime to build a complete character, but some think it's all done by the time you leave junior high. This is only true in terms of predictable habits and early life patterns. If it's never too late to have a happy childhood, it's never to late to redeem a character flaw.

BUT, it takes practice, it takes repetition to make the new character habit stick, to achieve a turnaround in an habitual behavior pattern.

I have a lifelong tendency to be laid back and forgiving. My character asset is that I have a long fuse; I'm not so thin-skinned that I'm easily offended. That said, there are people in my life who deserve to be reckoned with and I habitually let them slide, far more than they deserve or is good for them. How do I break this habit?

The first thing is that I recognize the problem I and want to face it. I make no excuses for it. I know the good side of this trait, but that's not enough. The same asset in one situaion is a liability in another circumstance. I also know that this trait is not a bottomless well of forgiveness. Somewhere deep inside I have a tally and it's adding up. Somewhere there's a cauldron boiling and the lid will blow with the right provocation.

Finally I look for opportunities to break this habit in simple ways: I speak up when it's easy but I wouldn't have done it without pushing myself. That way, every time the opportunity presents itself, and it might be harder, at least I know I can do it. How do I know? I did it once; I can do it again. What do you do?

No comments: