About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Heaven on Earth: two views

I used to think heaven on earth was in those rare and glorious moments when the elements of perfection lined up, when the circumstances were favorable and I was truly in the right place at the right time. Some call this: the moment that "fits my pictures".

This false notion of heaven on earth is as authentic as a movie posing as real life. In fact, I've heard people say that a perfect moment felt like being in a movie watching oneself enjoy the "scene". And the next description is that it is/was too good to be true.

It is too good to be true. Heaven can be felt, sensed or experienced only when we are fully in the moment--any moment--no matter the circumstance or even the emotional setting. I had a conversation with a good friend last night and it had moments of discomfort. She told me things about myself that were less than favorable, but she was right. Her thoughts were close enough to the truth that I knew this was good for me, something I needed to hear and that would make me grow, if I could hear it. I was in heaven. I could hear something and not defend myself.

We can practice the entry to heaven. It's here all the time, every day, every moment. It doesn't have to fit any picture. Whatever is in front of us is the picture of heaven if we're "there". Peace.

No comments: