About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Early Morning

Over the years practitioners of yoga and meditation have told me that dawn and early morning hours are ideal for practice. This morning I awoke t 6:15 and let myself get up for good. I did a few yoga poses and sat for maybe five minutes in a watchful breathing meditation.

This was good. Except for the inner criticism that it wasn't enough. I have always done not enough meditation or yoga. I thanked the inner critic and let it go. It's just the ego wanting to tell me I failed. What did I fail? My good intention? I didn't set a time limit on this practice; I just jumped in. I stopped when I stopped and it was good.

More important than how long I meditated was the recognition of the inner critic. That is the purpose of the meditation to begin with. This time I cannot fail at meditation. It is available all day long, even in tiny thirty second increments. I plan to use this today as an entry into peace. And namaste to you!

No comments: