About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Keep On Keeping On

One thing that surprises me is that a lifetime of spiritual practice does "sink in". In my awareness of the inner critic, the little voice that tells me it's not quite right or it's good but not good enough, I forget that there are practices, imperfect as they are, that can be resurrected and utlized for spiritual well-being.

I can't overstate the importance of noticing the inner critic, the little niggling voice-over that has an almost constant comment on ourselves and everyone else in the world.

Some years ago I attended the School of Practical Philosophy in New York City. Included in the weekly lessons were practical suggestions to practice between classes. One of these was to watch the inner voice and avoid criticism of ourselves or others. I liked watching the voice, but criticism was hard to manage. I was confused between an honest evaluation of behavior or circumstances and the extra label (gossip, often) that overlays what unfolds in our lives. For example, you could watch a person making an unsafe illegal U turn and think it's a bad choice. That's a clear statement. But adding to it: drivers just do anything they want; people are in a race to their own funeral; I don't do things like that, etc. Now it becomes a distraction and a way to make ourselves right and another wrong. This extra inner conversation is a tough challenge for me.

But that's my job today. I'll report on my progress tomorrow.

No comments: