About Me

My photo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
I am a Boston, Massachusetts-based Wedding Officiant and Celebrant; I also do free-lance writing, editing, teaching and coaching writers.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Inflated Power of Blogging

Today is a departure from the usual.

I confess: I am an avid blog reader, an occasional commenter, as well as a writer. I use this space, not only for some shameless self-promotion, but also as a way of developing serious thinking and praying for serious dialogue on topics and issues dear to me.

That said, there's something fantastical about writing for a public audience as vast as the multi-millions who connect daily to the web. If only in one's mind (certainly in my case) it feels good and portends a certain sense of journalistic responsibility to commit daily to sending out material open for discussion. On the other hand, blogging can also be a mindless dump of flip and ill-considered opinioning.

On thing for sure---the mere thought of potential lively, invigorating dialogue with like minds is extraordinary. Some of the "reader" comments on The Daily Dish (Andrew Sullivan"s award-winning blog) fully illuminate the original author's words, and he is fortunate to have such a spectacularly intelligent readership willing to participate in his particular public forum.

People of my own humble origins can only hope for such a platform and the credentials to climb up there. Time will tell.

No comments: